Info for Participating Artists
Arlington Visual Art Studio Tour, Sept. 29-30, 2018, 11am-5pm
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with questions
The 2018 Arlington Visual Art Studio Tour in Arlington County, Virginia, is a free-to-the-public, self-guided tour of participating artists in their studios over one weekend. A non-juried event for local artists to gain recognition and to feature their work, processes and studio spaces, it highlights and connects the community with the richness and diversity of the visual arts to be found in Arlington County.
The Arlington Visual Art Studio Tour is a joint effort by the Arlington Arts Center, Arlington Artists Alliance, Columbia Pike Artist Studios, Westover Artists, and independent artists throughout Arlington County, with support from Arlington Cultural Affairs and the Arlington Commission for the Arts.
To showcase Arlington’s established and emerging visual artists in their working studios for colleagues, art enthusiasts and collectors.
There are numerous reasons why you as an artist should be active with this organized tour:
- introduce your work to a new audience
- familiarize patrons with your creative process
- generate revenue from potential art sales
- connect with other local artists
- make visible the strength and numbers of visual artists in Arlington
A participating artist’s studio must be a workspace for creating art located within Arlington County, VA, which they can make available to the public for this tour.
- The artist’s studio and pathway to it must be an appropriate, safe space for public visitation.
- Sharing space in another artist’s studio must be approved on an individual basis, and registration is per artist, not per venue.
- All media will be accepted and all work shown must be the artist’s original work.
- Artists working in clustered studio spaces should encourage their fellow artists to apply for participation. Artists who are not officially participating in the studio tour are asked not to represent themselves in any way as studio tour artists. Artists must agree to not exhibit, sell or host non-participating artists in the space over which they have control.
- This studio tour offers the public an opportunity to be invited into the working spaces of Arlington County’s art community for an authentic experience visiting a working artist. It is not intended for temporary set-ups in businesses or pop-up spaces.
There is NO FEE to participate in 2018 but active participation is expected.To show during this event, all participating artists are required to register online at arlingtonartstudiotour.org/2018-artist-registration/
- By registering and providing complete information on the Registration Form by deadline, you will be included both in the online and printed artists directory in the Tour Guide/Map. Required info includes artist’s name and studio address, phone, email and website, and submission of 2-3 representative images of your work. Artist agrees to proof all information for Guide/map by deadline provided. If artist misses proofing deadline, we will print the information as originally furnished.
The tour will run on Saturday and Sunday from 11am-5pm: artists have the option to participate on one or both days, and agree to be open for all hours on the day(s) to which they have committed, and that are specified to the public on the tour guide/map and website.
- Artists should be willing to discuss and, ideally, demonstrate your creative process with tour attendees
- Participating artists must exhibit a minimum of 10 pieces of original art
- Participating studios may have art for sale. No commission will be taken but all costs and taxes incurred by the sale of art by the artist will be the responsibility of the artist.
- Each artist agrees to be responsible for personal promotion by notifying clients, patrons, friends, family, etc.
6/1/18 Deadline for completed registration form and digital images
6/8/18 Confirmation of participation by tour organizers
6/15/18 Deadline for commitment by artists
8/7/18 Tour Guide/Map PDF sent to artists to confirm contact info is correct for publication
8/13/18 Deadline for artist corrections to contact information
9/19/18 Printed Tour Guide/Maps available
The success of the Studio Tour will depend on combined efforts of participating artists and the organizing team. It is anticipated that sponsors will be found to cover the costs of promotional guide/map, possible signage, and website management to reach a wide audience.
A Tour Guide/Map will be available online at arlingtonartstudiotour.org. In addition, it is expected that artists will receive e-vites for sending to patron lists and 10 printed Tour Guide/Maps.
USE OF IMAGERY
Artists grant tour organizers permission to use art images for studio tour marketing and publicity for this event, without compensation.
INSURANCE AND LIABILITY
The Arlington Visual Art Studio Tour volunteer team is acting as an informal organizer to centralize information about this studio tour. Through participation, artist agrees that the organizers and its agents are not to be held liable for property, facilities nor injury to anyone on the artist’s property. Signing a Hold Harmless Release is required for participation in the studio tour.